Wilsham Farm Access Statement
Introduction Our home is set in peaceful countryside close to the coast in North Devon, is part of the Exmoor National Park and offers four en-suite guest rooms. The farmhouse is over three hundred years old and whilst we aim to meet the needs of all our guests there are some period features which might make access difficult for people with limited mobility. We are located on a hill and have rooms at different levels; there are therefore steps into the farmhouse and between rooms. Two of our rooms are suitable for wheelchair users; of the other two one has a bathroom on a mezzanine level and the other is too small so would not be appropriate.
Pre-Arrival· We are located at the end of a narrow lane which leads only to Wilsham and the farm is at the end with an automatic electric five bar gate. Our location is peaceful and fairly remote and not ideally suited to those travelling without a car.· The nearest shops are approximately 3 miles away. · The nearest bus stop is just under a mile away at Countisbury. Buses only run hourly and the service stops early in the evening. The off season times are less frequent (Nov-Easter)· The nearest railway station is Barnstaple which is approximately 15 miles away. Taxis are usually available at the station but we can book one for you in advance if required.· There are several local taxi companies; we can make bookings in advance for you.· Menus can be provided in large print if required. We regret we do not have facilities to prepare documents in Braille.· Our website www.wilshamfarm.co.uk provides pictures of our accommodation and further information about the services we provide.· You can contact us by telephone, text, e-mail or telephone. Please see the “Contact Information” section of this document for full details.
Arrival and Car Parking· Please advise us of your anticipated arrival time so that we can be sure we are here to welcome you.· To ensure your accommodation is ready we ask that guests do not arrive before 4.30pm. Earlier arrival may, however, be possible by arrangement.· There is ample parking on the tarmac drive in front of the main door or immediately adjacent to the lawn. · We offer assistance with luggage.
Main Entrance· There are ten steps of 6 inches down to the front door with an additional step of 6 inches down into the hall.· There is an alternative entrance via the back door which only involves two steps of six inches up into the hall.· The front door is usually open but please ring the bell on arrival.
Guest Accommodation – Public Areas
- From the hallway the door opens into the large drawing room.
- There is a small step down from the drawing room into the conservatory where we also serve breakfast.
- There are French Windows opening onto the garden from the conservatory.
- There are 11 stairs to the first floor; there is a hand rail on one side of these stairs. The stairs are carpeted and there is also a stair lift.
- There is a downstairs toilet that can be made available to guests during the day / evening
- The farmhouse is centrally heated throughout with an open log fire in the drawing room. Bedroom temperatures can be individually adjusted and there is an additional oil fired radiator provided in each bedroom to provide supplementary heat
- Guests are welcome to use the drawing room or the conservatory at any time. Both rooms are carpeted throughout.
- Two bedrooms are on the first floor and two up an additional 5 steps also with stair lift, and are carpeted throughout.
- There are en suite facilities in all rooms and individual bathrooms are described below.
- D. J. Miles & Co are local tea and coffee merchants and provide us with tea, coffee, hot chocolate and herbal infusions which are available in each room.
- We also provide a hair dryer, torch, a selection of magazines and a basic first aid kit is available on request
- Our beds are made with duvets; please let us know in advance if you suffer from any allergy.
- We are happy to provide sheets and blankets if preferred. Please specify before your arrival if required.
- We provide luxury white bathrobes for use during your stay.
- There is plenty of hanging space in each room, plus a chest of drawers and dressing table, with stool and mirror.
- There are at least two comfortable chairs in all rooms except Ashbridge which has only one due to space limitations.
- There is a folder in each bedroom which contains further information about the farm and details of emergency contacts including doctors and hospitals.
- This bedroom is up both sets of stairs (11 + 5 each with stair lift for those who find the stairs difficult).
- The room contains a king size 4 post bed, two comfortable arm chairs, and TV with freeview. Through an archway is an additional sitting room with tea tray and a further two chairs, window seat and dressing table with stool. The bathroom is off this room with large vanity unit, bath, loo and separate shower.
- This bedroom is also on the upper level and has a king size sleigh bed, two comfortable arm chairs, tea tray, dressing table and fitted wardrobe.
- There are 7 steps of 9 inches up to the bathroom with bath and hand held shower attachment, wash basin and loo.
- This bedroom at the top of the first flight of stairs (11) and has a king size 4 poster bed, wardrobes, dressing table two comfortable armchairs and TV with freeview. There are two large window seats each enjoying a different view down to the river.
- The en-suite bathroom has bath with shower over, washbasin and loo.
- The smallest of our rooms with either twin or super king size beds, dressing table, wardrobe TV with freeview and one armchair.
- The en-suite bathroom has shower, basin and loo.
- Access to the garden is via the conservatory or front door.
- There are no steps into the garden.
- There is a terrace with garden furniture immediately outside the conservatory which can be accessed without climbing any further steps.
- There is a sloping lawn leading down towards the river and pond which can be viewed from the terrace.
- There is a large summer house beside the pond and garden seat to use when studying the fish.
- You are welcome to walk over the farm, please close any gate behind you. Some of the walking can be over steep terrain, but there is direct access from the farm to the South West Coastal path
- There are fire extinguishers in the entrance hall and another at the top of the stairs and a full electronic fire alarm system throughout.
- In the event of a fire the alarm will sound. Please advise us if you have a hearing impairment and might not hear this.
- The building can be evacuated via the door at the bottom of the stairs or the door from the conservatory. In an emergency there is also an exit via the back door which is completely opposite the main front door.
- We do not permit any smoking in the house, but feel free to smoke outside. Please request an ash tray.
- We are happy to cater for special diets or any particular likes or dislikes. Please advise us of these before your arrival.
- We are happy to refrigerate any medication. We can also keep any perishables (such as clotted cream!) in our fridge for a limited period.
- Mobile phone reception on Exmoor can be difficult but is usually available somewhere. Please ask where the best spots are.
- The swimming pool is heated and indoor. It is open from 8am-8pm and at other times by arrangement. Please bring your own towels for swimming.
- Address: Wilsham Farm, Countisbury, Lynton, Devon EX35 6NF
- Telephone number: is 01598 741289. When we are away from home this number is diverted to our mobile phone.
- Mobile Phone: for text messages 07969123540 or 07850 292754
- E-mail address: email@example.com
- We are open all year.